Wednesday 22 May 2013

You don't have to be in the pro-life movement to be fired up by abortion's injustice

I joined the pro-life movement 40 years ago this year, giving my first talk on abortion to schoolchildren in south London in 1973.

Actually, though, on reflection, I was unaware I had joined a "movement". I was simply appalled at the injustice of abortion, having read Jack Scarisbrick's little book "What's wrong with abortion?" and I wanted to do something about it.

Every day that sense of injustice is renewed by reading, watching, or hearing something new ... And I think: "Why isn't every decent person in my church, in society, fighting this injustice?"

You don't have to be in the pro-life movement to be fired by the injustice of abortion and determined to stop it.

You can be:
  • a feminist
  • a bishop
  • a member of a justice and peace group
  • a doctor
  • a supervisor midwife - like Connie and Mary, the brave Glasgow midwives whom SPUC has been supporting in their fight for their right to conscientious objection
You can be anyone!

If you know someone who's hesitating to get involved in helping to stop abortion, just ask them to look at the video I watched for the first time this morning in which three former abortion clinic workers (pictured above) are interviewed.

How can any decent person, having watched that, not want to do something to stop abortion?  How could any decent person vote for a politician who upholds legislation permitting it?

Comments on this blog? Email them to johnsmeaton@spuc.org.uk
Sign up for alerts to new blog-posts and/or for SPUC's other email services
Follow SPUC on Twitter
Like SPUC's Facebook Page
Please support SPUC. Please donate, join, and/or leave a legacy